Saturday, September 1, 2007

BMH Camp #1: "She's my mom. And she is coming for me."

Well, we finished week 1!!! Lots of smiles- All captured and posted on YouTube (Search the key phrase: "Bring Me Hope Diary" for a video recap of each day)

Also we started a Facebook so pass the word: Facebook ID: “Bring Me Hope”

There were several touching moments for me:

1. One of the kids kind of adopted me as his big brother. On the last day I wrote him a note that just simply said, "I love you!" I didn't know if he could understand what I wrote. But he quickly grabbed my hand and then wrote, "I love you too!" Later that day when my little buddy left to go home he held the tears back until the last moment before he left. I can't describe what it does to your heart to see a friend go back to orphanage care.

2. We had 3 little kids come from a really poor foster home. Everything was new for them, brushing their teeth, seeing water come out of a faucet... But before they came to camp their foster dad bought them a bottle of juice. One of the translators said that one of the little boys was almost out of juice and went outside to the tap water to fill his juice again so he could enjoy it longer. When he got to camp he kept asking our translator, "Are we in America? We are in America right?"

3. One of the things we do at camp is have the kids dress up for a camp glamour picture. We have a large picture of Snow White that some of the kids stand in front of when they take their picture. One of the translators asked an orphan if they knew who Snow White was. The orphan replied, "Yes, she's my mom. And she is coming back for me."

How many children are there in the world that are waiting for Snow White? And for so many it is just a fantasy.

We have just experienced one week of titanic emotional ups and downs but at the same time we love what we do with everything we have. Thank you all for your heart to help children. And I’ll send you another update next week.


No comments: